How to Germinate Seeds in Hydroponics?
Hydroponics is an ideal method for germinating seeds! An alternative way of growing plants will be to grow plants hydroponically. Hydroponics is a more hygienic and efficient method compared to soil-based growing. It also protects your plants from root rot or insects. You can also control the whole system as everything is automated in this growing method.
Key Aspects For Seed Germination
- Decide what type of starter you are going to use. Most people either use peat pellets or rock wool cubes. Either is a fine choice as they are both neutral so won't harm your seeds or seedlings and they both allow enough moisture and air to allow your seeds to grow.
- Before you begin, prep your cubes or pellets in clean, distilled water for at least a couple of hours.
- Lightly shake out any excess water and place a couple of seeds in your cubes or pellets. You want to place a couple of seeds in case any don't sprout and you can always remove any extra sprouts if you want to.
- Place your cubes or pellets in a shallow domed or covered tray with about an inch or two of distilled water and place in a dark area until you see sprouts (about 5-7 days).
- See to it that the water in your tray stays about 1-2" high. At the initial stage use plain and distilled water and later add nutrient- solution to keep your growing system moist. And, once the plant is 2 inches (5.1 cm) tall provide more and more food. Once the plant reaches a height of 2 inches (5.1 cm), apply full strength plant food.
- Invest in appropriate hydroponics system according to your plant's needs and your budget.
You can choose either an active or a passive hydroponics system. Active hydroponic systems use artificial method for germination process while passive hydroponic systems carry out germination process naturally. Water culture system is also one reliable system where there is no need of a growing media but you can easily grow plants in water.
We’ve got what you need
Browse our online store now to find exactly what you need to start or maintain your hydroponic garden. Enjoy the pressure-free experience of an online store and rest assured with our FREE shipping anywhere. Don’t wait to browse our selection.
- Amir Ali Shaikh